Installing GrabCAD Print for multiple Windows users
Two versions of the installer are available to download from print.grabcad.com. The default option is the per-machine installer, which installs for all user profiles on the computer and requires admin privileges, and the other is the per-user installer, which only installs for one user on the computer and does not require admin privileges. The per-machine installer was developed for two reasons:
- To support IT requirements in large companies, where system admins would like to distribute software using deployment tools such as SCCM.
- To allow GrabCAD Print to be installed for all users of a shared computer, such as in a lab.
Most of the functionality of GrabCAD Print is the same for both installation methods, so it's up to the user to choose which method suits their requirements best. The per-machine installer was available for beta testing since the 1.16 release, but with the 1.25 release, it is now available to all.
Upgrading from per-user to per-machine
If you currently have per-user installed, the automatic updates through the application will not change you to per-machine. However, you can download the installer from print.grabcad.com and run it manually.
- If you are the only user on the machine who has installed GrabCAD Print, then you can run this installer without even uninstalling first.
- If there are other users on the machine who have GrabCAD Print installed, they must uninstall first.
- If there are no other users on the machine with GrabCAD Print installed, yet the installer still fails and tells you to remove other installations, this means that there are remnants of past installations still present in the registry, possibly from user profiles that have been deleted. Please contact email@example.com and we can help you get around this issue.
Comparing the two installers
|Per-User Installation||Per-Machine Installation|
|All app features and functionality||
|Automatic monthly updates|
|SOLIDWORKS add-in available||
|Can be deployed to many machines at once using deployment tools|
|GrabCAD Print Server can be installed on the same computer||(GrabCAD Print Server must be installed on a separate PC)|
|Multiple logged-in users can run GrabCAD Print simultaneously|
|Installation directory||C:\USERS\<username>\AppData||C:\Program Files|
|Installing for multiple users||Installed for each user one by one||Installed for all users at once|
|Windows admin privileges|| Not required
(except for installing/updating the SOLIDWORKS add-in)
|Required for installing and updating|
|GrabCAD Print preferences||All preferences controlled by the user||Security and advanced features preferences controlled by system admin, all other preferences controlled by the user|